Saturday, April 24, 2010

Task 12: "Teaching" Others


Well I wasn't too sure about the idea of "teaching" my colleagues something, because I think most (if not all of them) are a lot further along with this stuff than I am. But in faculty meeting today, Jennifer and I did each spend a few minutes at least talking about some of the things we discovered in Pi2.0, and I think we managed to show a few things that at least some people hadn't known about before. I showed the
TeachersFirst: Wiki Walk-through website, which had the wiki ideas that I liked so much, and the SeoMoz site (I still don't know what that means), which shows the award-winning web tools in various categories. On that site, I pointed out the genealogy and mapping stuff as examples. And then I briefly showed and talked about TimeGlider and MixBook and LetterPop and TeacherTube, and mentioned that I'd been using Flashcard Friends.

Kind of ironic, I guess -- all that griping and complaining I did and here I was promoting the whole thing. Well okay, I did say that I was annoyed by the 2.0 hype in a lot of the videos and articles -- and by Google Reader. But I also said that I was glad I did it and that, if you take the hype with a grain of salt, and if you just accept that you're not going to like all the tools you try, you do end up learning and discovering some cool stuff. So I guess I'm officially a convert, now that I've done some proselytizing. Do I get a tattoo or an armband or a toaster or something?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing at the faculty meeting! Stop by the tech office and I'll draw a lovely "I heart Pi2.0" tattoo on your arm with my sharpie =)

    ReplyDelete